Thursday, July 29, 2010

How It All Began

I was asked at the show how I got started doing what I am doing...took me until last night to figure it out. I guess about 4 years ago, Lee and I were in the basement piddlin' and just goofing off. We started working with some wood and what turned out was a countertop keeping bin. I loved holds small needful items like enamel ware and jars and such. Sooo, we made another one along with some other small items. I came up with Prim cute...I am trying to make some more now, I have sold roughly 100 of them. Anyhow, like I said we were just goofin' off and Lee suggested that I do the Sorghum Festival. This is a small festival in Clifford, about 20 minutes from the house. I signed up to do it, gathered all of our handmades, mind you it was mostly wood smalls and some furniture. Talk about the nerves!! I was sooo nervous. Here I was in my mid-late 40's doin' my first show...what was I thinking?? Most people start this stuff a lot earlier in life. We got it all set up and left. When we returned in the morning some of my stuff was a'missin'. Ladies had shopped after we left and had "their" stash in the back room. Now mind ya this is a 2 day show. Well, by the time Saturday afternoon was over, we had hardly nothin' left. So I came on home and grabbed some antiques that were here...nuttin' fancy just some items so have displayed...and they too sold. Sooo, we figured to expand to another show. The Apple Festival...still a local show. WOW! That to is a 2 day show and by Sunday we had one small box to pack and come home. Now ya know how we got started doin this. And it has trial and many many errors!! I got my first sewing machine 2 years this is a girl who flunked sewing in home ec. class. I received many lessons from cousin Lynette over the phone and via e-mail, and today I am still learning!! My collection of patterns tops 'prolly somewheres between 75-100. Have I made them all up you ask. Well, But I have them when I want them. This has become a wonderful learning and creating experience for Lee and I and it is a way for us to spend quality time together. He has been at all my shows over the last 4 years and without him to carry the big stuff...and packages when I shop...I would have been lost. I used to go under the name of Prim and Proper Antiques and Originals...but today we are Millstone Mercantile...Peddlin' Antiques, Primitive Wares and Needful Goods (our logo). I am officially known as the troll that lives in the basement...and to hear Lee tell it..he lets me out only on special meal time. So, now we do somewhere between 5-7 shows a year and have a shop...or booth I should say, and if you read yesterdays post you know that soon I will also be at Notforgotten Farm. We stay pretty busy, I run this business and Lee runs the construction business, sometimes the two cross each other, but for the most part we manage to keep 'em separate. (Just never know who to charge the lumber to!!)... That's how it all began.

Well, my friends, the troll is off to the home lots to do and while he is in Bedford painting I may just get it done!

Have a great day...blessings to you.


  1. I loved reading about your beginnings! Lots of hard work on your part! Lee sounds like the best partner in life and business you could ever want! Wishing you all the best on your new venture at Notforgotten Farm! You are all good people and that is what makes you a success!
    Blessings and hugs!
    Cathy G

  2. Isn't it great to hear about other shopkeeper's beginnings? Thanks for sharing. I'm sure your new adventure will be awesome. Can't wait to hear more about it all! Dawn