Thursday, March 11, 2010

Re-Potting

Good morning to you all!! It feels like we are having an early spring, and I will take that any day. I have spent the last few days re-potting the hens and chickens. They seem to be EVERYWHERE!!! They are in pots, hanging out of pots and on the ground. I wish I could finish my projects as fast as these things seem to multiply. The ones that are in the pot above are actually some of Lee's grandmothers and we transplanted them from his Uncle's house in W.VA. When we brought them to their new home we kinda just "put" them on the ground, they took off. Keep in mind, Lee is 53, and his Grandmother has long since passed, so these are old. I am sure that these are babies of the original ones. It just felt soooo good to get my hands dirty, although they do get pretty dirty when I am dying something, this was different. When I am recycling something from the past, whether it is flowers or a bit of cloth, you have to stop and think about it's beginning. Where did it belong before you acquired it? How many hands touched it? What was it's purpose? I think about all those things, when working with the flowers I could almost picture Lee's grandmother doing the same. When using bits of old quilts I am always wondering about the person that made it and for what reason. Was it made for warmth, as a gift or simply to use as a decoration? Our fingerprints do not fade from the lives we touch.

I shall leave you with that. Have a beautiful day.
Blessings,
Robin

2 comments:

  1. I love this time of year. Seems like everything has a new beginning. It's good you got your repotting done before the rain comes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like your thoughts about all the hands that touch things. I have my great grandmother's bureau and I like to think about her looking in the same mirror I've looked in all my life.
    Isn't it great to repot and plant? I spent a lot of time raking our the winter drek, today.

    ReplyDelete