Friday, December 31, 2010

Happy New Year...what do you eat????

Happy New Year....a little early I know. I was thinking (scary!!)...what do you eat for your
"Good Luck" food for the New Year? I know it is different in some areas of the country. For the Harrison Homestead it is black-eyed peas and this year I will add fresh kale and potatoes.
At the cousin's house in W.VA. it is sauerkraut with noodles and pork, I just heard about
Hoppin' John (made with black-eyed peas). So, what is your 2011 Good Luck meal?

Do you take your trees down or leave them up and retire them after the New Year? This year I am doing differently...I still have my big tree up and will leave it up until after the stroke of midnight...we will see if the luck changes. Plus I really love the glow she gives off and Eli likes having the ladder in the room.


So....will you watch the ball drop in Time Square tonight? Will you actually be there or watching it from the comfort of home? Ours will be spent spending a little time with Lori and Peter
and then we will be home...hopefully we can manage to keep the old eyes open until midnight, but even if we don't, I know we will be in a new year upon awaking.



As you can see Eli is my forever companion...he helps me do pretty much EVERYTHING!!! I am trying really hard to get my "groove" back....by the way thank you for all of the wonderful comments and e-mails about getting back into the swing of things.
I am working on this sampler at night while watching t.v. and I have also managed a couple of extreme prim bunnies.


HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!

I wish you much happiness and success in the new year.


Blessings,

Robin


8 comments:

  1. We always have cabbage for dinner on New Year's Day. We have never gotten rich but we have never gone broke either!
    Trees are all down and put away except for the one that is up year round.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Robin, it is black eyed peas in Texas. Though about half the time I forget to buy them and since it is 12 miles to the little grocery store in the nearby town we just don't have them. And this will be one of those years.8-)

    I take my tree down the day after Christmas most years. Unless we have Christmas with the family late.

    Happy New Year!!
    Blessings,
    Lorna

    ReplyDelete
  3. i was going to say...anything i can get my hands on! LOL!
    Happy New Year!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Robin, we don't eat anything special, though we usually go out to dinner as a family on New Year's Day.
    I usually keep my decorations up until about the 6th of January when the wiseman made their way to the major. This year though, I think the tree is coming down tomorrow, I just need to move past this holiday season. Happy new year! OLM

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wishing you New Year blessings and happiness, too, Robin
    For years, we've gotten exotic cheeses and olives and fresh bread for NYEve. This year I'm making bread and we're adding smoked salmon and stuffed grape leaves to the menu.
    I'll be taking the decor down on Sun. and Mon. Love putting it up, but not so much the take down.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Robin -- Happy New Year! When we lived in PA -- it was pork and sauerkraut for New Year's Day. Here is NJ, we try to continue that tradition, but it doesn't happen very often! Tomorrow we'll just be having a roast beef (because I had it in my freezer already!). The tree comes down tomorrow -- I am ready. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy New Year Robin & Lee..in N.C. the New Year meal is supposed to include hog jowls, but NOT at our home. We'll have pork ribs, collard greens and black-eyed peas and of course, that southern sweet tea! Many Blessings in 2011..see you in Feb. Barb & Giles @ Cabin In The Woods

    ReplyDelete
  8. In Florida it is black-eyed peas - we usually have Hoppin John, but today I am trying a new recipe - it is called Good Luck Salad. It is made with black-eyed peas, of course, and has spinach in it. We will also have pork chops and corn bread. All trees and decorations are put away, but I am still tweaking the everyday decor - trying to make a few changes.

    Have a Blessed New Year,
    Sue

    ReplyDelete